The Benefits of Smog
Last week China made headlines when the country’s Media tried to put a positive spin on China’s smog problem (For those of you of haven’t read the story you can catch up at Time or Reuters). It is only human nature to try and put a positive spin on an unnatural phenomenon that can put lives and the environmental at risk, remember all people trying to put a positive spin on global warming?
Personally, I was surprised that the Chinese State Media only included 5 reasons (See the First 5 Listed Below), so I decided to brainstorm some additional benefits to China’s Smog Problem.
1. It unifies the Chinese people.
2. It makes China more equal.
3. It raises citizen awareness of the cost of China’s economic development.
4. It makes people funnier.
5. It makes people more knowledgeable (of things like meteorology and the English word haze).
6. Smog provides an excuse for wearing fluorescent clothing.
7. Improves imagination by turning China into a fantasy smog land.
8. Introduces China to a new range of tastes and smells.
9. Smog provides added shelter for animals of prey (and predators).
10. Smog improves the beauty of sunrises and sunsets.
Pollution Sunset via Shutterstock